I own a Nikon D3100 DSLR camera and it is what I have been Using to shoot videos. It works fairly well honestly. The sound I get from it is good, the picture is clean for the most part and its really easy use. A couple downsides I have noticed while using it is that it does not work very well on bright days or with bright things, it just looks washed out and overexposed and it doesnt focus very well sometimes. I have never played around with the settings for the video on the camera and frankly I have never even looked at the manual before this. I don’t have the physical manual but I found one online here: https://cdn-10.nikon-cdn.com/pdf/manuals/kie88335f7869dfuejdl=-cww2/D3100_EN.pdf

This is what i found:

• The first thing I found is that you can change the focus mode for taking video. I have had it on Single Servo AF which is used for stationary objects and people only which would make sense of that fact that I had been having focussing issues. Theres 3 focus modes available on this model:

Single Servo AF – Auto Focus for stationary objects and people

Full-time Servo AF – Auto focus for moving objects and people

Manual – Manual focus

• The second thing I found that could help me with my overexposure problem is using the AE-L/AF-L button to lock the exposure to stop it from fluctuating
  • But the third thing I found is the most exciting and honestly it’s kind of embarrassing that I haven’t found this before but there is a way to change the exposure compensation (+-5.0) which completely fixes my overexposure problem

I am very very excited to try out the new features I’ve found and i hope that my findings will clear up all the problems Iv’e had in the past. I am also  currently questioning myself as to why Iv’e never thought to look at the manual before.